Monday, August 10, 2020

Making A Ready-To-Use Inductor Capacitor (LC) Meter

 Introduction to DIY PIC16F628A LC Meter

A DIY LC meter was popular many years ago. It requires only a PIC16F84A or PIC16F628A micro-controller with a dozen of components. The total budget is under 10 US Dollars. This LC meter was done by a university professor. It's free and open source.

The original author had already design the software, schematic diagram and PCB pattern.Currently, there are many author on the web re-design and modified the software and hardware of this LC meter.

The LC meter is important whenever I need to customize my own coil, or measuring any capacitance. Without a DIY LC meter, an on-sale LCR meter is needed. It cost around 20 US Dollars.

I have design my own printed circuit board for my personal use. Because any ready-designed PCB has different component footprint. I adjust the PCB pattern to fit the component I stock.

Making A Ready-To-Use Inductor Capacitor  (LC) Meter
My design of this DIY LC meter

Making My Own Circuit And PCB Design 

I didn't write my own software or modified the original software. I use a ready-to-use hex file downloaded from the internet. You can google this hex file from any site.



I only made my own schematic and PCB design.

The original author had already design the software, schematic diagram and PCB pattern.Currently, there are many author on the web re-design and modified the software and hardware of this LC meter.
Schematic diagram I have made in 2017.



 
Schematic and PCB design is done with Proteus 8, and could be downloaded here. The bill of materials is stored in the design file. This meter requires over 40 components. I make this design to fit all components available in local warehouse.
 

A DIY LC meter was popular many years ago. It requires only a PIC16F84A or PIC16F628A micro-controller with a dozen of components. The total budget is under 10 US Dollars. This LC meter was done by a university professor. It's free and open source.
My DIY LC meter I have assembled. It's measuring a toriod displaying 497.3 uH. It's powered by  a PIC16F628A CPU.


 
I had shot a video for this meter on YouTube.


1 comment:

  1. Hello good day sir. Pls come across ur blog and I really find it very interesting. I have learned alot from many projects circuit you had uploaded. pls I need the L-C meter source code in mikro c programs. Likewise, there is programmable timer I come across, I have already downloaded it and I didn't know the function of individual buttons. Which one is meant for menu, set, and so on. Pls it is urgent as, I am working on right now. My Gmail addresses is: rafiuajape4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Labels

ADC (10) Analog (14) Arduino (12) Atmega16 (19) Audio (2) AVR (20) Charger (1) Cortex-M0 (1) Counter (10) CPLD (25) Digital I/O (22) Display (34) EEPROM (2) Environment Sensor (1) esp8266 (2) Experiment Board (10) I2C (4) Interrupt (7) LCD (1) LDmicro (29) measurement and instrumentation (7) Microchip Studio (3) MikroC (1) One-Shot (3) OpAmp (1) PCB (31) PIC16 Microcontrollers (16) PIC16F877A (2) PIC16F887 MikroC (22) PLC (35) PWM (11) Regulator (1) RTC (2) Sensor (8) Shift Registers (5) SPI (5) Timer (34) UART (2) ultra-sonic sensor (1) USB (1) VHDL (21) xc8 (1) XC95108 (9) XC9536 (15) XC9572 (1) Xilinx (23) Xilinx ISE (22)